Unsafe devices are often made in China for as little as 3p
On first examination the small white plug that arrived in bubble wrap in the post appeared perfectly innocuous.
Hundreds of thousands of devices much like it are currently plugged into sockets in offices, children’s bedrooms, living rooms and kitchens around the country, powering up mobile phones — of which 30 million are sold in the UK each year.
But the bang that resounded, with a puff of black smoke, moments after new mother Katie Vines plugged this device into her bedroom wall was anything but harmless.
So powerful was the explosion, that the charger actually split in two and left a large, sooty circle around the socket.
This wasn’t a one-off, however: it would go on to happen a second time with an identical device.
The thought of what could have…
View original post 325 mots de plus